Embracing Change: Innovative Learning Models for Developing Soft Skills in the Tech-Driven Workplace
In our recent blog post, Perspective: The Case for Workforce Aligned Programs, we touched on the increasing need to develop new learning models to address a shortage in the workforce of soft skills.
The Importance of Soft Skills
As technology infiltrates all aspects of our lives, it is evident that we need ways to ensure vital soft skills can evolve and keep pace with new ways of working and interacting around our work. These uniquely “human” skills, such as listening, critical-thinking, and interpersonal skills, are impacted greatly by technology changing how we connect, communicate, obtain and share information, give direction, and lead teams. There is a fear that with the proliferation of AI, technology will replace humans in so many capacities of work; however, computers and people excel at different things.
Soft skills, such as communication, adaptability, and collaboration, play a pivotal role in driving our businesses forward. Our learning models have failed to keep pace with how fast technology requires us to make vital pivots to continue to deploy our human skills effectively in new ways. The rushed move to online learning during the Covid-19 pandemic exaggerated this impact and brought it into focus.
Recommended Learning Models and Benefits
Below are five learning models designed to foster the development of soft skills in the face of technological change. Reshaping and revitalizing our modalities of learning can help us embrace the technological change that is all around and evolve our uniquely human skills.
- Immersive Virtual Reality (VR) Experiences:
- Overview: Immersive VR experiences provide a unique platform for employees to enhance their soft skills. Through simulated scenarios, users can practice communication, teamwork, and problem-solving in a virtual environment.
- Benefits: Realistic scenarios enable employees to develop emotional intelligence and empathy, crucial components of effective collaboration. VR experiences also offer a safe space for making mistakes and learning from them.
- Gamification of Learning:
- Overview: Gamification involves incorporating game elements, such as competition and rewards, into learning processes. This model turns skill development into an engaging and interactive experience.
- Benefits: Gamified learning makes the acquisition of soft skills enjoyable and encourages healthy competition among employees. It provides instant feedback, motivating individuals to continually improve and refine their abilities.
- Personalized Adaptive Learning Platforms:
- Overview: Adaptive learning platforms leverage artificial intelligence (AI) to tailor learning experiences to individual needs. These platforms assess the learner’s strengths and weaknesses, adapting the content accordingly.
- Benefits: Personalized learning ensures that employees focus on areas where they need improvement, optimizing time and resources. This model promotes self-awareness and empowers individuals to take ownership of their skill development.
- Microlearning Modules:
- Overview: Microlearning involves delivering content in small, digestible modules. This model is particularly effective for on-the-go professionals who may have limited time for traditional training sessions.
- Benefits: Bite-sized modules allow employees to learn at their own pace and fit learning into their busy schedules. This approach enhances retention and application of soft skills by delivering information in a concise and focused manner.
- Collaborative Learning Platforms:
- Overview: Collaborative learning platforms facilitate interaction and knowledge-sharing among employees. These platforms can include discussion forums, virtual team projects, and peer-to-peer feedback mechanisms.
- Benefits: Collaboration platforms promote communication and teamwork, essential soft skills in a tech-driven workplace. Employees learn from each other’s experiences, fostering a culture of continuous improvement and shared learning.
Adopting new models of training like those above encourages the practice of our human skills in new technological contexts⏤retraining us to use these tools and combine them with communication, collaboration, problem-solving, and other vital soft skills. These learning models uniquely tap into human qualities that automation finds challenging to replicate, emphasizing the irreplaceable value of soft skills in the workforce.
As technology continues to reshape the professional landscape, the importance of soft skills cannot be overstated. Thinking of how to harness the power of AI in this context will also require us to think about its application and carve out our vital place in its use. These learning models offer innovative approaches to developing and refining these critical skills. By embracing immersive experiences, gamification, personalized learning, microlearning, and collaboration, organizations can equip their workforce with the adaptability and interpersonal skills needed to thrive in the fast-paced world of evolving technology. As we navigate the future of work, investing in the development of soft skills remains a strategic imperative for success.
Laurie Pulido: A Catalyst for Educational Transformation
Laurie Pulido is the Founder of Ease Learning. Her insights and expertise are often cited in industry publications on topics related to DEI principles and innovative learning design. Most recently, Laurie has been a driving force in best practices for skills-aligned learning.
Explore the Solutions
Our unique combination of learning design and development services, managed help desk support and skills assessment solutions prepare your students for the jobs of tomorrow and empower your instructors to deliver an inclusive experience for their students.
Our tech-enabled solutions identify skills gaps in your workforce. Paired with our learning design and development services we help to fill those gaps with impactful, accessible and equitable program developments, assessments and improvements.
It is vital to create accountability and transparency around validation of skills in onboarding and ongoing training programs. We help you authenticate skills for various healthcare job tracks while powering your ongoing training solutions.
“I am so grateful for your patience with us throughout this process—we’ve been able to learn a lot with this pilot and have valued you all as thought partners in that work.”
Associate Vice Chancellor of Teaching and Learning at Northeastern University
“This work has illustrated mapping of existing nursing content to the draft AACN Essentials through the Skillways platform. This offers us a way to move toward competency-based education by truly modularizing our content for small-bite delivery because we can measure progress toward outcomes as students proceed along individual paths.”
Director, ReNEW & RN-BSN Completion Programs University of Wyoming
“Thank you for all of your hard work and support! We appreciate your professionalism, knowledge, and participation in this wonderful experience to create two creative and dynamic courses.”
SME at NOCE
“Ease was always quick to work with us as an institution to quickly resolve issues. The follow up of agents was amazing.”